THE 2022-23 Writing & Design CONTEST IS CLOSED
Stay tuned for announcements about the 2023 winners!
Hope to see your work in our contest next year!
The Liar publishes emerging and established artists from Canada and beyond.
The Liar is an annual anthology edited by Capilano University students. Living in the rupture between the personal and the political, our editors publish provocative, powerful collections of fiction, poetry, art, drama and more that explore the intersectional complexities of our world.
Our 2022 Writing Contest is now open to students of Capilano University!
There is no theme; we only ask for your best writing and design.
THE WINNER FOR BEST DESIGN IS $500 AND WILL BE ON THE COVER OF THE LIAR. THE WINNER FOR BEST WRITING WILL WIN $500 AND WILL APPEAR ON OUR WEBSITE AND IN THE PRINT JOURNAL.
The CONTEST HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO OCT 1, 2022 at midnight.
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Up to two submissions maximum per medium (writing and art) per submission period. Please submit each piece in separate documents.
- We only accept online submissions. Submissions must be sent through submittable as we do not accept mailed submissions.
- Please type all written submissions and only use the doc, docx or pdf formats.
- We prefer new and unpublished submissions, but we also accept submissions that have previously been published in print or online. If you are submitting a previously published piece, please note this in the body of your submission and include where it was published.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please let us know.
- We encourage submissions from intersectional identities and marginalized groups such as writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQ+, low-income writers, and Indigenous writers. Feel free to include in your email if you identify as one or more.
POETRY AND PROSE
- We accept fiction submissions up to 2000 words.
- Hybrid-genre, creative non-fiction, literary essays, creative journalism and personal essays up to 3000 words are welcome, however we do not publish academic essays.
- Hybrid and cross-genre works in poetry are welcome.
- We accept screenplays and dramatic work up to 2000 words.
- We accept poetry and prose translations into English.
- Please include the original author, title and language it was originally published in the body of your submission email.
- We accept photography, traditional, digital, hybrid and experimental art.
- Please submit all art in high resolution (preferably at 300dpi) TIFF or JPEG in color mode.
- Please note: submissions will be printed in greyscale, aside from the cover, which will be in CMYK colour mode.